HBABCs serves as a contractor to NEI3A for both it’s Senior Medicare Patrol National Resource Center and the Medicare State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) Technical Assistance Center, two national resource centers funded by the Administration for Community Living (ACL). HBABCs provided a host of technical expertise and support services to both resource centers to help them more effectively reach their constituency and provide quality products (needs assessments, evaluation, surveys, data collection, newsletter articles, manuals).
- Adapted public health RE-AIM framework for use by ACL Resource Center for Senior Medicare Patrol programs, creating measurement tool for in-depth and ongoing needs assessment and evaluation.
- Conducted annual needs assessments for SMP programs and evaluated their satisfaction with center activities.
- Conducted comprehensive mixed-methods baseline needs assessment for new SHIP resource center that included design, implementation and analysis of an in-depth online survey as well as telephone interviews with 54 program directors around the country.
- Drafted regular newsletter articles on topics of interest.
- Developed original national training manual for volunteers around the country (SMP Foundations) that addressed Medicare basics and health care fraud and abuse that continues in use today.
- Conducted comprehensive assessment of new training materials that included paper-based and online surveys of volunteers, consumers and project staff around the country.
- Aided in the design and development of online training via an off the shelf learning management system.
- Pilot tested the use of a Community of Practice with SMP directors focused on rural outreach and volunteer recruitment.